Thursday, April 10, 2008

Making the Call and Our First Visit

Six weeks after seeing Jabrens pediatrician, we were preparing to go out of town for a family reunion and I was planning menu's with extended family members. I was facing yet another challenging situation of feeding Jabren with crowds who have plenty of food with dairy in it. Minimizing Jabrens deprivation of treats, snacks and such is easier at home where I am in control but social settings were so challenging. So I called and made the appointment. As I spoke with Dr. Judit McCullough, a chiropractor with specific training in NAET, I asked her lots of questions out of skepticism. Basically she told me yes she does what my friend claims and that her own son went into anaphalactic shock and was rushed to the emergency room from contact with peanuts when he was 18 months old. She easily and confidently stated that when he was 5 he had the treatments and ever since then he has not had a problem. He was now 9 and makes PB and J sandwiches all the time.I believed her. I was at my parents house and I was so excited. That was the start of me truly believing there was an end in sight for Jabrens dairy allergy. At this point I only believed he was allergic to the protein in milk and NOT lactose intolerant.Since he was very little he had bright red, almost blistered cheeks and rashes behind his knees and in his elbow creases. He also spit up a lot. I gave him a cheese stick when he was about 9 months old and he spit it all up. Later on, he got sick with rosieola, but before we knew it was that we thought the rash was food related. As I talked with my mother in law she advised I try cutting dairy out for two weeks and see what happened. So I started a dairy free diet when he was 10 months old. Immediately he stopped spitting up. I was convinced though doctors did not support my theory.As he grew and was capable of communicating he never complained of stomach aches or that sugar bothered him, which most kids who have lactose intolerance do. But now looking back he never had dairy. (This is important to the story later on, so when it gets posted I'll bring it up.)His appointment for evaluation was at the end of July just before the reunion. I was at first disappointed that he wouldn't be starting a treatment at this visit. I just wanted this thing done, so I could move on in life. Now I comprehend the process, which just takes preparation and time. We went in and after going through his medical history she pulled out a sheet of paper with 78 allergens listed. Wow, that seemed like a lot; I was very curious to know what she would find on Jabren.The best way to explain how she tested is this. Energy, like electricity is out there. There is a start of energy and then there are conductors to move it. Jabren was the start of his energy field and I was just a conduit which could be tested to see what his energy field reacted negative and positive to. (This is my explanation not an official NAET explanation.)So, she had Jabren hold my right wrist and then she tested my left arm for strength (through muscle resistance testing or MRT). I had strength and could strongly resist her downward pressure on my arm. This demonstrated a base line, or that he was strong and healthy . Then she started slipping little vials in my right hand, Jabren held my right wrist and I held my left arm up as she would push it down after each vial was slipped into my hand. After the first two I had had strenghth. Then some I had no resistance. I was completely shocked! The difference in strength in my arm was very real. It was very literal and possibly only believeable if you experience for yourself how dramatic the difference is.By the end of this visit, she had tested the first 26 and he was only allergic to three things. Vitamin C mix, Sugar Mix and Animal fats. Three treatments and I figured we would know if this whole NAET stuff really worked.She showed me after finding a few of his allergens, that when he let go of my wrist and tested just me that I could resist whereas before I literally could not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a couple of days ago, I talked on the phone with my friend who sees a NEAT doctor. I was very skeptical. I guess it helps hearing from more than one person about it. Maybe I'll find a doctor around here and see if they can help me, because my allergies make it so I can't even go outside without having an allergy attack
Jessica
May 14, 2008 6:49 AM